North Dakota Architect FAQs

Answers to frequently asked questions about North Dakota architect licensing and continuing education.

North Dakota Architect Renewal

Renewal Deadline: June 30th of odd-numbered years

Renewal Cycle: Biennial

State Required Continuing Education: None

AIA Membership Continuing Education: 18 hrs annually, including 12 HSW

See AIA Courses

Renewing Your License:

How do I renew my North Dakota architect license?

A renewal notice will be emailed to the email address we have on file for you OR you can use the following link to renew your license: CLICK HERE TO RENEW.

What are the North Dakota continuing education requirements for architects?

North Dakota architects are not required to complete continuing education.

Do I need to complete continuing education requirements for my AIA membership?

Yes, as an Architect member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 18 learning unit hours are required per calendar-year for membership renewal. Of these 18 hours, at least 12 hours must be in subjects designated as Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW).

My North Dakota architect registration has lapsed, how do I reinstate it?

If it’s within the 1st year since your license has lapsed, you can ask for reinstatement of your license. You would need to complete our disclaimer that you did not practice in the time you were unlicensed. You will need to pay $225 which includes both the $125 renewal fee as well as a $100 penalty fee. You will be able to keep your license number.

If it’s been more than 1 year since your license has laped, you will need to complete the disclaimer, have your NCARB Council Record re-submitted to us, complete the Uniform Application (which can be found on our website), and submit our application fee of $150. You will receive a new license number.

Contact the North Dakota State Board of Architecture at 701-223-3540 or e-mail for the proper forms or if you have any questions. 

Getting a License:

How do I obtain a North Dakota architect license?

You may gain licensure through reciprocity, ARE or LARE testing.

Does North Dakota offer architect reciprocity?

Yes, an individual who is a registered architect in another state and holds an NCARB certificate may become registered in North Dakota. Follow this link to proceed:

State Contact Info:

North Dakota
State Board of Architecture

PO Box 7370
Bismarck, ND 58507-7370
Phone: (701) 223-3540

Once I order the course, how long before I can start?

You may begin immediately! Simply click the Login button in the upper right-hand corner on your desktop or in the upper-right menu on mobile. Once you’ve entered your login and password, you will be taken to your courses. Follow the instructions and enjoy!

Once I start an online course, will I be able to start and stop at anytime?

Our courses are available online 24/7 and you are able to log in and log out at any time during the course. If you are going to be away from your computer for more than 10-15 minutes, simply log out. When you log back in, you will be able to re-enter the lesson you were last in.

How long do your continuing education courses take to complete?

Continuing education requirements vary by state. Each course lists a minimum number of credit hours required to complete the course.

How long do I have access to the courses?

We allow up to 6 months for you to complete the courses. During the six months you have unlimited, 24/7 access. If you need additional time, please contact our offices to arrange an extension (please note: a fee may apply).

Are there tests or quizzes in the courses?

Some states do require quizzes, these will be found at the end of lessons. You cannot fail a quiz, though, as you may take it as many times as required to pass!

Once I complete a course, can I still go back and review the lessons?

You are able to review the lessons at any time during the six months you’ll have access to the courses.