New Mexico Architect Licensing FAQ’s

New Mexico Architect Continuing Education

If you are a licensed architect in the state of New Mexico, your license renewal deadline is fast approaching. Read on for answers to some frequently asked questions about architecture licensing and renewals in New Mexico!

How do I renew my New Mexico architect license?

  1. Complete 24-hours of continuing education (12-hours per year)
  2. The state will mail you a renewal form.
  3. Complete your renewal form and pay the appropriate fee before December 31st of each renewal deadline year.

What are the renewal fees for New Mexico architects?

  • $225 for in-state registrants
  • $325 for out-of-state registrants
  • $20 for Architect Emeritus

What are the New Mexico Continuing Education Guideline Requirements?

New Mexico architects must complete a minimum of 24 HSW continuing education hours (12-hours per calendar year) by December 31st of odd-numbered years.

Do I need to complete continuing education requirements for my AIA membership?

Yes, as an Architect member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 18 learning unit hours are required per calendar-year for membership renewal.  Of these 18 hours, at least 12 hours must be in subjects designated as Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW).

Are AIA approved classes accepted to renew my New Mexico architect license?


I have extra New Mexico architect continuing education hours, can I apply them to the next renewal cycle?

No, learning units must be completed in their respective cycle.

Who notifies New Mexico of my architect continuing education?

It is the licensee’s responsibility to notify the State. Records must be retained for 2 years. Architects Training Institute will store your continuing education records for 6-years at no additional cost.

Does New Mexico offer architect reciprocity?

Yes, an individual who is a registered architect in another state and holds an NCARB certificate may become registered in New Mexico.

My New Mexico architect registration has lapsed, how do I reinstate it?

Contact the board at: Include your address and contact information. The board will contact you with instructions to reinstate. Fees and requirements will vary based on how long your license has been expired.

Who do I contact at the state level with further questions about my license?

New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects

Mailing Address:
PO Box 509
Santa Fe, NM 87504

Physical Address:
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Road –3rd Floor
Santa Fe, NM 87505

Phone: (505) 476-4830
Fax: (505) 476-4829