With your Michigan Architect license renewal deadline coming up on October 31st, here's a one-stop resource that covers everything you need to know about renewing your license.
We've also updated every link to reflect the transition to using the MiPLUS online renewal system, that way you don't waste any time trying to find where to go.
How do I renew my Michigan architect license?
The state will send you a renewal reminder 3 months prior to your expiration date.
- Complete 24 HSW hours of continuing education
- Renew your license online & pay the $70 renewal fee.
- Expect to receive your renewed license by mail within 5 to 10 business days, if all renewal requirements have been met.
- Use a MasterCard, Visa or Discover credit card or e-check to renew online.
- After one business day, click here to make sure all renewal requirements were met and verify the renewal status of your license.
- PLEASE NOTE: By using an e-check to make your renewal payment, there will be an automatic 10 day hold placed on the check, and there are no exceptions to the hold.
What are the Michigan Continuing Education Guideline Requirements?
Michigan architects must complete a minimum of 24 HSW continuing education hours every two-years by October 31st.
Do I need to complete continuing education requirements for my AIA membership?
Yes, as an Architect member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 18 learning unit hours are required per calendar-year for membership renewal. Of these 18 hours, at least 12 hours must be in subjects designated as Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW).
Are AIA approved classes accepted to renew my Michigan architect license?
I have extra Michigan architect continuing education hours, can I apply them to the next renewal cycle?
No, learning units must be completed in their respective cycle.
Who notifies Michigan of my architect continuing education?
Licensees will not be required to send in proof of continuing education activities to the Department when renewing a license. However, a licensee must maintain records of continuing education hours earned for 4 consecutive years for audit purposes. Architects Training Institute will store your continuing education records for 6-years at no additional cost.
Does Michigan offer architect reciprocity?
Yes, an individual who is a registered architect in another state and holds an NCARB certificate may become registered in Michigan. Fill out the appropriate online application here to get started.
My Michigan architect registration has lapsed, how do I reinstate it?
Complete this Relicensure Application and pay the $85 fee.
Who do I contact at the state of Michigan about my Michigan architect license?
PO BOX 30018
Lansing, MI 48909