While Iowa Architects must typically renew their license by June 30th, architects whose license expires in 2020 have received an extension to their renewal window in order to accommodate for COVID-19.
What is the new renewal window?
May 16, 2020 through July 31, 2020, with a late renewal period August 1 – 30, 2020. This applies ONLY to licensees whose licenses were originally set to expire June 30th, 2020.
If your license is set to expire on June 30, 2020:
- Expiration date – Your license will now expire on July 31, 2020.
When you sign and stamp your technical submissions, please use July 31, 2020 as the expiration date of your license.
- Renewal Time Frame – The renewal window will be from May 16th through July 31st for the normal renewal; late renewals will be available August 1st – 30th.
- Continuing Education – 24 HSW hours are due at the time of renewal. You may complete the hours between July 1, 2018 and July 31, 2020, or the date of renewal, whichever is earlier. (Please note: hours earned between July 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020 that are used for your 2020 renewal may not be used for your 2022 renewal.)
If your license is set to expire on June 30, 2021:
- Continue per the normal rules.
Which licenses expire in 2020?
If your last name begins with A-K, your Iowa architect license is set to expire this year.
What are the continuing education requirements to renew my Iowa architect license?
- Licensed for less than 12 months: No continuing education required.
- Licensed more than 12 months but less than 24 months: At least 12 hours of public protection (HSW) hours
- Licensed for 24 months or more: At least 24 public protection (HSW) hours
All classes must be completed between July 1, 2018 and July 31, 2020 (or the date of renewal, whichever is sooner.)
Inactive and Retired
No CE required
I have accumulated extra continuing education hours; can I apply them to the next renewal cycle?
No, learning units must be completed within their respective cycle.
I am an AIA member, are AIA approved classes accepted to renew my Iowa architect license?
What are the fees associated with renewing an Iowa architect license?
Retired: No fee