Renewal Requirement Overview
Total State Hours: Five hours of disability access + five hours of net zero carbon design
Total AIA Membership Hours: 18 Annually, including 12 HSW
Renewal Deadline: December 31st
Renewal Years: Odd Years (2021, 2023, 2025…etc)
NEW FOR 2023: Under California Business and Professions Code (BPC) section 5600.05, California architects must now complete 10 hours of continuing education coursework to be eligible for renewal instead of five. See the full coursework requirements below for more information.
Fill out your updated Business Entity Report Form here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to take specific types of continuing education courses to renew my California architect license?
As a condition of license renewal, architects must comply with the following:
- Complete five hours of coursework on disability access requirements (see below) within the previous two years. The coursework must be presented by trainers or educators with knowledge and expertise in the disability access requirements.
- Complete five hours of coursework on net zero carbon design (see below) within the previous two years. The coursework must be presented by trainers or educators with knowledge and expertise in these design requirements.
- Certify to the Board on the renewal application that he/she has completed the required coursework by signing the application.
- Maintain records documenting completion of the required coursework for two years from the date of license renewal.
- Provide, upon request, records to the Board for auditing. Records must include the following:
- Course title
- Subjects covered
- Name of provider and trainer or educator
- Date of completion
- The number of hours completed
- A statement about the trainer’s or educator’s knowledge and experience background
- File with the Board his/her current mailing address and the proper and current name and address of the entity through which he/she provides architectural services.
Licensees are encouraged to complete these requirements in a timely manner in order to avoid a delay in the processing of their license renewal. Licensees who fail to complete the required coursework cannot renew their license nor practice architecture until they have fulfilled these requirements.
Do you have any courses that will specifically cover the 10 hours of coursework California requires?
The California Required 10-Hour Package is fully accepted by the California Architects Board. This package contains two courses and covers required material for both disability access and net zero carbon design.
If you have any questions, you can contact Jeff Olguin at 916-575-7274 at the California Architects Board for more information.
Do I also need to complete continuing education requirements for my AIA membership?
Yes, as an Architect member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 18 learning unit hours are required per calendar year for membership renewal. 12 of these 18 hours must be in subjects designated as Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW). Our 18-hour California Architect Continuing Education package fulfills both the current CE requirements and the AIA membership renewal requirements.
Who notifies the State of my continued education?
Each licensee is required to notify the state of his/her own continued education.
Licensees must keep their coursework documentation for at least two years from the date of their license renewal. The Board conducts audits of completed coursework. Licensees who are selected for an audit will be required to submit coursework documentation confirming that they have fulfilled the requirement.
Are AIA approved classes accepted?
How do I renew my California architect license?
- Complete the appropriate continuing education.
- Complete an Architect License Renewal Application.
- Pay the $300 renewal fee.
- Mail the signed renewal application and fee to the board with a postmark on or before the expiration date.
If you have any questions or need more information, you can contact the California Architects Board here
2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 105
Sacramento, CA 95834
Renewal Fee: $300.00