Alaska Architect License Renewal FAQ’s

Alaska Architect Continuing Education

If you are a licensed architect in the state of Alaska, your license renewal deadline is fast approaching. Read on for answers to some frequently asked questions about architecture licensing and renewals in Alaska!

When do I need to renew my Alaska architect’s license?

Licenses must be renewed every odd numbered year by December 31st.

How much continuing education do I need to complete in order to renew my Alaska architecture license?

Alaskan architects must complete 24 HSW hours of continuing education. AIA members must complete 18 hours annually, including 12 HSW.

Who notifies the Alaska State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors of my completed architect continued education?

Neither Alaska architects continuing education providers are required to submit continuing education unless there is an audit. A certificate of completion will be available for you to print for your records at the end of each course and Architects Training Institute will maintain your records for 6 years. The Alaska State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors requires architects maintain records for four years in case of an audit.

Other documentation of continuing education includes but are not limited to: AIA transcripts, certificates of completion issued by the course provider, “sign-in” log provided directly by the course provider, and other correspondence or documentation provided directly by the course provider.

Are AIA approved classes accepted?


Is my Alaska architect continued education reciprocal with other states?

If a registrant is currently registered in another jurisdiction which has mandatory CE requirements that are substantially similar to or exceed those of Alaska, a registrant may certify that he/she has met all CE requirements in that jurisdiction. Registrants must maintain logs of professional development hour (PDH) activities earned from that jurisdiction and make them available to the board in the event of an audit.

I have extra Alaska architect continuing education hours, can I apply them to the next renewal cycle?

Yes, you may apply up to 12 excess hours to the following year.

When will I receive a notice of pending renewal?

The state does not mail out renewal forms anymore. Instead, you will receive a renewal notice with renewal instructions in November of odd-numbered years.

I need another renewal application. How can I get one?

You may obtain a renewal application from the Alaska Board of Architects website or you may call or email the division and have one mailed or faxed to you.

Who do I contact at the state with further questions about my license?

State of Alaska/DCCED
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
AELS Board
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
Main Reception: (907) 269-8160
Fax: (907) 269-8156
State Website