How do I renew my Alabama architect license?
- Complete 12-hours of continuing education
- Renew your license online by paying the $135 renewal fee
What are the Alabama Continuing Education Guideline Requirements?
Alabama architects must complete a minimum of 12 continuing education hours (CEHs) each calendar year (January 1 through December 31). The content of all 12 hours must be devoted to health, safety, and welfare (HSW) subjects related to the practice of architecture. In addition, all 12 hours must be earned in a “structured” learning setting.
Do I need to complete continuing education requirements for my AIA membership?
Yes, as an Architect member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 18 learning unit hours are required per calendar-year for membership renewal. Of these 18 hours, at least 12 hours must be in subjects designated as Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW).
Are AIA approved classes accepted to renew my Alabama architect license?
I have extra Alabama architect continuing education hours, can I apply them to the next renewal cycle?
No, learning units must be completed in their respective cycle.
Who notifies Alabama of my architect continuing education?
Alabama does not require architects or continuing education providers notify the state of continuing education unless they perform an audit. Architects must maintain continuing education records for 1-year and furnished to the Board in response to an audit. Architects Training Institute will maintain your records for 6 years at no extra charge.
Other documentation of continuing education includes but are not limited to: AIA transcripts, certificates of completion issued by the course provider, “sign-in” log provided directly by the course provider, and other correspondence or documentation provided directly by the course provider.
My Alabama architect registration has lapsed, how do I reinstate it?
- Complete an Alabama application form
- Complete a reinstatement affidavit
- Complete a Continuing Education Annual Report Form - Reinstatement Only.
List 12 HSW Hours earned during the previous calendar year.
- Complete a Citizenship Affidavit and acceptable documentation.
- Send a copy of your wallet card or letter of good standing from your resident state.
- Send a check to the Alabama Board of Architects for $460 which includes
- $250 reinstatement application fee
- $135 registration renewal fee
- $75 late penalty
It will take about two weeks for the Board to process your application.
State of Alabama Board
Board for Registration of Architects
100 North Union Street, Suite 390
Montgomery, AL 36130-4450*
*(For "overnight" delivery, use 36104 for zip code.)