Minnesota Architects Continuing Education Requirements

Total State Hours: 24-Hours including 2-hours of Professional Ethics
Total AIA Membership Hours: 18 Annually, including 12 HSW

Renewal Deadline: June 3oth
Years: Even-Numbered Years (2018, 2020, 2022...)

How do I renew my Minnesota architect license?

  1. Complete 24-hours of continuing education including 2-hours of professional ethics.
  2. Renew your license online by paying the $120 renewal fee

What are the Minnesota Continuing Education Guideline Requirements?

Minnesota architects must complete a minimum of 24 continuing education hours including 2-hours of Professional Ethics by June 30th of even-numbered years.

Do I need to complete continuing education requirements for my AIA membership?

Yes, as an Architect member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), 18 learning unit hours are required per calendar-year for membership renewal.  Of these 18 hours, at least 12 hours must be in subjects designated as Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW).

Are AIA approved classes accepted to renew my Minnesota architect license?


I have extra Minnesota architect continuing education hours, can I apply them to the next renewal cycle?

Yes, you may carry-over a maximum of 12 PDHs to the next two-year cycle for hours obtained above and beyond the required 24 PDH. You will still need to keep documentation of the activities you carry-over in your files in case of an audit.  If you are carrying-over PDHs for the next biennium, you will need to keep that documentation for at least two years after the cycle the hours are applied to.

Who notifies Minnesota of my architect continuing education?

Licensees are required to report the total number of hours on your renewal form – either online or paper.  Records and supporting documentation need to be kept for a period of two years after submission to the Board.  If you are selected for audit, you will be contacted and asked to submit supporting documentation of your reported activities. Architects Training Institute will store your continuing education records for 6-years at no extra cost.

Does Minnesota offer architect reciprocity?

Yes, an individual who is a registered architect in another state and holds an NCARB certificate may become registered in Minnesota. Complete the Architect by Comity Application.

Minnesota Board of AELSLAGID

85 E. 7th Place
Suite 160
St. Paul, MN 55101 

Phone: 651-296-2388
Fax: 651-297-5310
Website: http://mn.gov/aelslag/ 

Licensing Reference

MN Continuing Education FAQs