Introduction to Fire Sprinklers and NFPA 13D System Layout
1. Introduction to Fire Sprinklers. This course is an introduction to the basics regarding fire sprinklers, valves and hydraulic calculations. Students will become familiar with the parts of a sprinkler assembly and the significance of sprinkler orientation.
2. Introduction Sprinkler System Valves. This course is an introduction to the basics of sprinkler system valves and the types of systems they service.
3. Introduction to Sprinkler System Layout. This course is an introduction to sprinkler system layout. Students will become familiar with sprinkler hazards, sprinkler types, design area, and residential sprinkler systems.
4. NFPA 13D Basics Layout. This course is an introduction to the basics of NFPA 13D sprinkler systems. Students will become familiar with sprinkler protection standards, system components, system types, system layout, and design area.
5. Introduction to Sprinkler System Hydraulic Calculations. This course is an introduction to basic hydraulic calculations as they relate to water supply, water flow and friction loss in a fire suppression sprinkler system.
6. First Calculation for NFPA 13D Systems. This course is the first calculation for NFPA 13D systems. Students will become familiar with calculating pressure loss from friction, the friction loss equation, and calculating water flow.
Chapter 1 – Introduction to Fire Sprinklers
- Sprinkler basics
- Parts of the sprinkler
- Sprinkler orientation
- Types of sprinklers
Chapter 2- Introduction Sprinkler System Valves
- Types of valves
- Types of sprinkler systems
- Types of sprinkler systems cont.
- Setting air pressure
- Water delivery
Chapter 3 – Introduction to Sprinkler System Layout
- Hazards within sprinkler systems
- Sprinkler types
- Sprinkler spacing
- Design area
- Listed design areas
- SxL Rule
- Maximum design area
- Determining design area
- Residential sprinklers
- Zoned design areas
Chapter 4 – NFPA 13D Basics Layout
- Sprinkler protection standards
- System components
- Dry and preaction systems
- System layout
- Sprinkler layout
- Listed design area rules
- Hydraulic demand
Chapter 5- Introduction to Sprinkler System Hydraulic Calculations
- Water pressure
- Water supply and flow
- Friction loss
- Internal pipe diameter
- Examples of calculations
Chapter 6- First Calculation for NFPA 13D Systems
- NFPA 13D space
- Calculating pressure loss from friction
- Water flow calculation
- Equivalent fitting lengths
- Water supply curve
- Credit(s) earned on completion of this course will be reported to AIA CES for AIA members. Certificates of Completion for both AIA members and non-AIA members are available to print upon completion of the course.
- This course is registered with AIA CES for continuing professional education. As such, it does not include content that may be deemed or construed to be an approval or endorsement by the AIA or any material of construction or any method or manner of handling, using, distributing, or dealing in any material or product.
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 8am and 6pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-727-7104 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses will usually be returned promptly, but guaranteed within one business day.
Student policies and procedures are always available by going to our website and scrolling to the bottom of the page (See Attendance, Privacy and Refund Policy).