Instructor: Roger Peck
Building homes that are well protected from the weather should be a priority for any building professional. The majority of problems stem from improper procedures and workmanship, but often the problem is found in the design of a home. This course will explore factors that contribute to exterior shell failure and identify practical solutions that will preserve the integrity of the building envelope.
As technological innovation creates new construction possibilities, incorporating energy-efficiency into building projects can not only provide a better quality of life, but also protect the environment. A comprehensive approach to resource and energy efficiency is the best method to achieve a resource and energy efficient building.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Identify the components of the building as a system, its performance requirements, and how these features must be integrated to prevent building envelope failure.
- Describe how a properly constructed building envelope will keep out weather related moisture and stop uncontrolled movement of energy due to loss of conditioned air.
- Identify innovative design considerations incorporating energy efficient resources and components.
- Evaluate the structural considerations when installing/mounting these new systems.
This course covers:
- Why is There a Problem?
- The Building Envelope System
- Foundation Construction
- Wall Construction
- Roof Construction
- Window and Door Installation
- Ventilation System Installation and Requirements
- Building Envelope Best Practices
- Consumer Remedies
- Wind Power
- Solar Energy Use
Credit(s) earned on completion of this course will be reported to AIA CES for AIA members. Certificates of Completion for both AIA members and non-AIA members are available to print upon completion of the course.
This course is registered with AIA CES for continuing professional education. As such, it does not include content that may be deemed or construed to be an approval or endorsement by the AIA or any material of construction or any method or manner of handling, using, distributing, or dealing in any material or product.
If you have any questions
Please call us at 1-800-727-7104 | Monday-Friday | 8am-8pm
Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email responses will be returned promptly within one business day.