2010 ADA Standards:
Chapter Ten: Recreation Facilities
Course #AIABLTI315 / FL 9878342
Architects Training Institute
A Division of Certified Training Institute
Provider # 50119841
The ADA is one of America's most comprehensive pieces of civil rights legislation that prohibits discrimination and guarantees that people with disabilities have the same opportunities as everyone else to participate in the mainstream of American life — to enjoy employment opportunities, to purchase goods and services, and to participate in State and local government programs and services. The 2010 Standards set minimum requirements – both scoping and technical – for newly designed and constructed, or altered State and local government facilities, public accommodations, and commercial facilities to be readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities.
This two hour video course covers the tenth chapter of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, Recreation Facilities. The material for this course is presented by simple narration and power point video presentation, including on-site, real world video examples in various accessible buildings used by both the public and private sector.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Be able recognize how recreational facilities can, and should comply with ADA standards.
- Identify the ADA requirements for amusement parks, fitness equipment, golf facilities, play areas and swimming or boating facilities.
- Outline at least one design strategy based on ADA standards for the construction of either a public or private building.
- Summarize the options available to the design or building professional when designing a facility per the requirements of the ADA Standards.
Lesson One 1001- 1003.3.2 (35 minutes)
1. Amusement Rides
2. Recreational Boating Facilities
Lesson Two 1004- 1007.3.2 (20 minutes)
1. Exercise Machines and Equipment
2. Fishing Piers and Platforms
3. Golf Facilities
4. Miniature Golf Facilities
Lesson Three 1008- 1008.4.5 (20 minutes)
1. Play Areas
Lesson Four 1009- 1010.1 (25 minutes)
1. Swimming Pools, Wading Pools and Spas
2. Shooting Facilities with Firing Positions
- Credit(s) earned on completion of this course will be reported to AIA CES for AIA members. Certificates of Completion for both AIA members and non-AIA members are available to print upon completion of the course.
- This course is registered with AIA CES for continuing professional education. As such, it does not include content that may be deemed or construed to be an approval or endorsement by the AIA or any material of construction or any method or manner of handling, using, distributing, or dealing in any material or product.
- Course instructors will be available by email at [email protected], or telephone (800-727-7104) between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.