2010 ADA Standards: Interior Elements
3 HSW Credits – Course #AIABLTI314
Three hour online video course covering Chapters Six, Seven, Eight and Nine of the 2010 ADA Standards. Know requirements of proper plumbing, communication, special rooms and built-in elements.
Chapters Six, Seven, Eight, and Nine
The ADA is one of America’s most comprehensive pieces of civil rights legislation that prohibits discrimination and guarantees that people with disabilities have the same opportunities as everyone else to participate in the mainstream of American life — to enjoy employment opportunities, to purchase goods and services, and to participate in State and local government programs and services. The 2010 Standards set minimum requirements – both scoping and technical –for newly designed and constructed, or altered State and local government facilities, public accommodations, and commercial facilities to be readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities.
This three hour video course covers the sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth chapters of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design. he material for this course is presented by simple narration and power point video presentation, including on – site, real world video examples in various accessible buildings used by both the public and private sector.
After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Be able recognize what interior elements can, and should comply with ADA standards.
- Identify the ADA requirements for proper plumbing, communication, special rooms and built-in elements.
- Outline at least one design strategy based on ADA standards for the construction of either a public or private building.
- Summarize the options available to the design or building professional when designing a facility per the requirements of the ADA Standards.
Chapter 6: Plumbing Elements and Facilities
Lesson One 601-604.96 (30 minutes)
- Drinking Fountains
- Toilet and Bathing Rooms
- Water Closets and Toilet Compartments
Lesson Two 605-612.3 (30 minutes)
- Lavatories and Sinks
- Shower Compartments
- Grab Bars
- Washing Machines and Clothes Dryers
- Saunas and Steam Rooms
Chapter 7: Communication Elements and Features
Lesson One 701-707 (30 minutes)
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Detectable Warnings
- Assistive Listening Systems
- Automatic Teller Machines and Fare Machines
Chapter 8: Special Rooms,Spaces and Elements
Lesson One 801-806.3.2 (30 minutes)
- Wheelchair Spaces, Companion Seats, and Designated Aisle Seats
- Dressing, Fitting, and Locker Rooms
- Kitchens and Kitchenettes
- Medical Care and Long-Term Facilities
- Transient Lodging Guest Rooms
Lesson Two 807-811.4 (30 minutes)
- Holding Cells and Housing Cells
- Residential Dwelling Units
- Transportation Facilities
Chapter 9: Built-In Elements
Lesson One 901-904.6 (20 minutes)
- Dining Surfaces and Work Surfaces
- Check-Out Aisles and Sales and Service Counters
Course instructors will be available by email or telephone between 9am and 5pm Eastern Standard Time. They will assist you with questions regarding course content.